A “man cave” has been in use for a long time but has greatly increased in popularity recently. The original idea of a man cave was to convert a small or large unused space, like the garage or basement, into a sort of sanctuary that will be predominantly used by, of course, the men of the house. Typically, this space belongs to the father as he usually doesn’t have a space of his own. Not to generalize, but women usually do have the say in the overall layout and design of the bedroom and the other common spaces. The kids have their own rooms to retreat to and a home office isn’t exactly a place to relax at the end of the day. Thus, the concept of the man cave was born.
If you want to build your very own trove in the house, ask these questions to yourself first to help you with the planning:
Are you going to convert an unused space into your own or do you have a room dedicated for this project?
Renovating an old space might be much more difficult as it would most likely require you to remove something first before replacing it with something new — like the wallpaper. Unlike with the a new room, you can’t simply put new things and throw in some stuff unless you don’t care for how it will look like.
Don’t fret because you can go at it at a slow pace and tackle one project at a time. Furthermore, you can start with the essentials first and then slowly add the other aesthetic elements as you move along. Before you know it, you’ll have a completely transformed room that looked nothing like the old basement or garage filled with junk!
What is the main purpose of your man cave? Is it to store your collection, a place to hang out with your friends, or simply just you very own space where you can chill or relax after a hard day’s work?
Determining the main purpose to which you would like your man cave to be will help you plan the furniture and other tools you will need. It will also help you prepare your budget. If, for example, you would like to dedicate the room to your collections then you will need a lot of shelves, cabinets or glass displays. On the other hand, if you want this to be the place where you and your buddies can hang, then you will need a big couch, a TV and maybe even a home bar. Picture yourself in the room and imagine what you would like to be doing with it. Remember that this is YOUR space so you can do whatever you want with it.
Do you have a theme or general design in mind?
How much is your budget?
Will you be hiring a contractor or do you aim to do everything yourself?
Now that you’ve envisioned what you want, it’s time to put your plans into action. Here are some cool man cave ideas you can do to spruce up your place:
- Hang lighted signs on your door. There are tons of different designs that look like but are cheaper than neon light signs available online. There are logos, engraved names and even mascots of your favorite NFL, NBA, MLB and other Sports teams. They come in different sizes and colors, easy to purchase and will be delivered right at your doorstep. You can even have one custom made, if you like!
- If you’re not a fan of lighted signs, get an old fashioned wooden sign to hang at your door or by the entrance of your man cave. These signs are fun because they can turn into another do-it-yourself project. Imagine getting a Pittsburgh Steelers Wooden Sign and painting in the team’s colors onto it. It’s a great way to pass time and also would be cool to show your family and friends.
- Paint the wall or put up wallpapers that match your team’s official colors. This would look great with your sports knick-knacks and memorabilia, if you have or collect any.
- Install hanging shelves in the room and paint them with your team’s official color as well. Most teams have two or more official colors. You can choose the lighter one on your wall and then paint the hanging shelves with the other.
- Coordinate the colors of your wall, furniture and other accessories. Try to avoid making the room too dark because it will also make it look smaller and cluttered.
- Use temporary stickers of your team’s logo and stick them on your wall. If you want to go bigger and give the room a more dynamic look, cut out some stencils and spray paint the logo on the wall.
- Make sure you test the color of the paint under the light you are going to use. The navy blue paint you bought in the store might look great under white light, but may not look too good if you are planning to use a warm or incandescent light in your room.
- Spice up the room with a cool LED Neon Wall Clock with your team’s logo. These are great because they can also serve as the night light. There are even custom made wall clocks that you can order and also LED Neon Table Clocks if you prefer.
- If you collect your favorite players’ jerseys and uniforms, frame them and hang them up instead of keeping them in the closet. This is a great idea because you can showcase your collection without the fear of getting them damaged or dirty. Plus, you can also hang lighted signs with your favorite player’s name underneath the framed jersey. If you want it to look more classy or sophisticated, you can purchase personalized wooden signs with their signature engraved on it.
- Paint your light switch cover plate with a basketball, football, baseball or other sports design, depending on the theme you’re going with.
- If you’re planning on setting up a home bar in your man cave, get creative with your bar counter. For the table, paint it to look like a football or baseball field, basketball court or even an ice hockey rink! You can use paint and stencils, or just stickers if you don’t want to damage your furniture. Make sure to top it up with a glass table cover and secure it with silicone glass spacers to prevent it from moving around.
- For chairs or stools, cover the backrest with your favorite players’ jersey numbers. These backrest covers can readily be bought in home depots. You can use cloth paint and just get creative with the design. You can also go all out by screen printing the design you want onto it. This can be a do-it-yourself project at home or it can be requested at your local shirt printing shop.
There are lots more cool ideas that you can use if you’re really into designing your man cave. Remember that this is YOUR space so you can put anything you want in there. There are no weird or crazy ideas here! Just make sure that you have fun but also keep safe!